Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Player's Handbook Concepts

One of the best assignments I have worked on lately is a set of loose concepts that helped to flesh out the style guide for the Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Player's Handbook. I worked with art director Jon Schindehette on the looks for various classes of characters across races and disciplines. I have seen how the new Player's Handbook took the ideas and ran with them for the final illustrations, sometimes using them as reference, while other times going in a new direction. It's really fun to see how the book turned out! I have a special place in my heart for D&D since my friend Forest Stearns gave me a spare 2nd Edition Player's handbook back in the mid 1990s. I pored over the illustrations and wondered what it took to get a job where I could draw dragons and wizards, so this is some what of a dream come true.

They even made little table top figures based on some of these guys!

I also worked on the upcoming Tyranny of Dragons adventures and I have some illustrations in the new Monster Manual as well. I will post some images from those as they are released.

Cheers!



























12 comments:

Aerozopher said...

Great work man!!

JP said...

Thanks Aerozopher!

Anonymous said...

Simply amazing =)

Beardnick said...

these are so great! I love how simple, and yet spot on they are!

Axis Of Anarchy said...

I love this work! I kind of play a semi-special snowflake (Half-Wood Half-Drow Elf) and have been looking around for some inspiration. :) Thank you for sharing all of this!

JaytheKillah said...

gj dude listen could u make a rogue/assasin male drow?

Anonymous said...

Just found out about your work from purchasing a set of D&D minis. I really liked their style, so I searched high and low for the concept art they were based on and landed here! I recognize several of the minis here, not just the six starter set characters, so please tell me you're doing more of this and that Wizkids os making minis after them!

Anonymous said...

Just found out about your work from purchasing a set of D&D minis. I really liked their style, so I searched high and low for the concept art they were based on and landed here! I recognize several of the minis here, not just the six starter set characters, so please tell me you're doing more of this and that Wizkids os making minis after them!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aelfeth said...

Awesome work! Such an inspiration. I especially like how their class is so recognisable through design but still not looking super cliché! Kudos, you definitely have my dream job man :)

Anonymous said...

Want more!

Unknown said...

Want a challenge? A Gorilla-riding Ranger/Monk Gnome :D