Thursday, April 08, 2010

Time Out!!



I try not to do this, but I have to take some time out and post a non-art related comment...well, I suppose it's sort of art related. My school, San Jose State University, is one of the many California State University schools affected by the horribly bad budget problems the state is facing. The students there are suffering from teachers on furloughs who are required to take time off from teaching during the semester. The would-be students can't get into the school, even if they are qualified (or even OVER qualified) because of impaction.

SJSU changed my life. I received an education there that I would not trade for the fanciest art school or or the prestige of the ivy league. The beauty of the Cal State system is that it was meant to open the doors to education that were previously closed to many. The doors are closing again, and all we can do is speak out! I encourage anyone who cares to write your congressman/congresswoman and push for education, push for funding.

Some may say, "Oh, public education. It's a bloated system and a bureaucratic mess. Why should my tax dollars go to waste?" In the words of Benjamin Frankin, "The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."

End of rant!!

1 comment:

starshptroopr said...

Excellent post. It's a shame that SJSU has to turn away students even though it has such a great art program. I really want to go there but because of budget policies, I'm forced to apply to private art school instead. :(