Sunday, December 07, 2008

Fire Brothers Work In Progress


I decided to take a different approach to the Fire Brothers piece I am working on. I originally intended to do the whole thing in a vintage poster/Jules Charet type thing, but early on I became bored with the idea of "painting by number." I normally don't have a problem working into a tight pencil drawing, but this piece began to feel very contrived. I decided to cover the surface with matte medium and experiment with some oils on top of the watercolor base. These guys are fire after all, so I think some random explosive blasts of color and light might get me excited again. Another thing that bothers me is that I wanted all the brothers to be different types of fire, but the blue flame brother in the lower right is a strange infusion of cool in a predominantly warm palette. I might just make the whole thing warm swirling mass to unify the piece. In any case, this is where it is for now until the oils.

1 comment:

sin said...

paper tape on masonite, water colour sick! lookin' forward to the progression...see ya and keep on rockin' !

sophorn