Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dino Rider Initial Pass


Here is a more defined sketch based on the model comp below. The final will be done pretty soon.


This is a quick study I did with the help of my kneaded eraser, photoshop, and my desklamp. First I comped up a little sculpt with my eraser and lit it. I picked an angle that I thought would be most dynamic for the two characters, and I shot it with my camera. Afterwards, I did some quick paintover in photoshop to give it a little more form and atmosphere. I still have a lot of work to do, but I can see more clearly how things are going to work for the final thanks to the model. there is a lot of information, especially with bounced light that I never would have thought of if not for this.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

very cool. great lighting.

Dan Westerman said...

awesomeness

chrystal chan said...

a funnieeee. i like that it looks like a baby

chrystal chan said...

so i realized that the pot is called spaghetti pot only because you told me so. how come you know it's called spaghetti pot.. are you the spaghetti master?

Aletta Wenas said...

Oohh..another neat trick learned from the Balmet. Awesome! I'm in vis-def now and all that stuff you told me about character development has now finally congealed..which is great cause at least I need all the skills I can get now..waha.

Jesse Lee said...

JP, this is a cool idea and great execution.

I like the character designs as well.
I like overlapping plating is cool...an idea- maybe the overlapping "lines" could imitate the fold rings of a dino or pachyderm's skin around the upper limbs.

if you don't like that idea then consider giving him a missile launcher that comes out of his face.

let me know what you think?

Jesse Lee said...

thanks jp (secret cousin of thom yorke).

I'm hoping you're considering the missile launcher idea an not the other silly suggestions.

Brenoch Adams said...

nice piece JP. I remember the writing class we took together, and your desire to study illustration over graphic design. You've got both disciplines working together well.